The Dragon Queen's Lair
You could have sworn the cave wasn't there before. You've been through the forest so many times before, you would have noticed the cave before today. Wouldn't you?

The entrance is massive, fit for even the largest creatures in Ostlea. Natural light doesn't penetrate very far and you're forced to fashion up a torch as you decide to explore the new area. It's dark, long before a new source of light flickers into existence ahead. Smoke slowly fills the cave, billowing around you. You stop walking.

"Welcome. To whom do I owe this pleasure?"

You lift the torch higher and forward, trying to shine a light on the source of the voice. You don't wonder for long as the speaker brings their face closer for you. The firelight reflects off her scales and you stumble back a step.

Green, draconic eyes seem to smile as scaly lips pull back, revealing dangerous teeth. The poor light makes it hard to discern of her scales are black or some other dark color. Her triangular head doesn't remain in front of you for long, serpentine neck stretching as she moves to wrap around you, head resting at your side. You're careful to avoid the horns protruding from her crest. Hmmm... Is it that time of year again?" Her voice is low so you can't tell if she is speaking to you or herself.

The dragon withdraws, vanishing in the darkness again. You hear the shifting of large wings, a scraping of scale or talon against stone. "Very well. I have a game for you then. Almost a riddle. If you can solve it you'll be handsomely rewarded. There are, however, tricks along the way--do be careful not to set them off. Don't fret; I’m sure you'll find friends to help you along the way."

1. Pick an Ally:
    1. Teruteru
    2. Possessed Dracodoll
    3. Sus
    4. Spider Silk
    5. Hellaios
    6. Boogie Boo
    7. Hooded Draiche
    8. Lich Warder
    9. Undaqua
  2. I will roll a D20 die. [Updated: 10/26]
    1. If 1: critical trick
    2. If 2-10: flip a coin.
    3. If 11-15: answer a riddle.
    4. If 16-19: flip a coin.
    5. 20: critical treat.

Lair Rules:
  1. Please be honest about your rolls and coin flips. I’m trusting everyone to RNG their own results.
  2. You can visit and roll up to twice a day.
  3. Riddles that you need to solve will progressively become harder.
  4. Treats will be in the form of silver, crystals, and creatures. Tricks will be in the form of RP obstacles.
  5. You are highly encouraged to RP in this thread, but it is not a requirement.
  6. This is a new layout for me, so feel free to provide any feedback/suggestions.
Please call me Val.
I'm just a lurking Skittle.
[Image: cy0oCnM.jpg]
 Deviant Art * DC Scroll * My Lair * Flight Rising
Oh, that is a big dragon! And she is offering me some of her treasure? Don't they usually eat people for taking their treasure? Is this a trick? But if she wanted me dead, I'd be dead already. I'm glad I went with the "student loan debt" costume this year instead of "knight in shining armor".

Maybe I should pick an ally who is a dragon, they might help me figure this out. But of course I don't have a D20 on me, it's Halloween, not game night! Luckily, I've already been to some houses and fashion something crude and 20-sided out of the sweets, held together with melted chocolate. I hold my breath and roll the "die". It lands skittles side up.

Trying to keep my voice from shaking, I announce:

"I would like a Spider Silk ally, and I rolled a 15".

[Image: l1fDaPq.png]
[Image: Birb_Division.png]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Image: Akozt2S.png] ~ Microraptor Fan Club ~ Ailura Fan Club ~ Celadon Fan Club ~ [Image: Akozt2S.png]
 ~ My Lair ~ My DC scroll ~ My Flowergame Garden ~

Ally- Spider Silk
Number- 2... (Don't have any dice on me so I used a D20 dice simulator. Actually rolled a 20 on my first try, but in case people suspect me of cheating, I rolled again and got a 2. Maybe it would be best if you roll for us instead? That way people won't suspect the participants of being dishonest. I'd personally be too nervous to admit I got a good roll in case people don't believe me.)
Coin- Heads
[Image: ddc87s1-6f2be91b-9dc5-4358-80e2-e86c51ef...i9PfFyvqCM]
"The best place to cry is in the rain, where no one will know."
[Image: ddhyp0y-628c7dfc-31ef-4af8-825d-73c3b4a0...41rPa5cBP0]
Allow me to mourn and yearn for you for the remaining years of my life, my lovely little Rosie girl……
"Trick or tr-"
Oh dear. I went out expecting lots of candy and chocolate, not a talking dragon.
Looking over the group of strange creatures, an antlered bird with a canine snout catches my eye.
"I pick that one. The Lich Warder." A formidable ally, able to protect me from above.
I kneel down to roll the dice, and grimace when I see it land on 14. Riddles aren't my strong suit, but I'll do my best.
@dustpuppy
Within your first few steps, the sticky webs of a Spider Silk coat your clothes. At first, you thrash against the supposed trap. But when the creature itself appears, you grow still. It stares at you, assessing. You wait for it its judgment until it draws nearer, one wing lifting to reveal the egg it carries.

"It seems you have found your ally. Take care of them and they will take care of you."

The adult Spider Silk rearranges its web, rising back to the top of the cave but remains within sight. It moves as you move and hisses out warnings to you. It isn't long before you come stumble into a spell circle. Light traps you and your ally within.

"You have found the first riddle. I hope you are ready to answer it. You will have three attempts."

From the light, words begin to form:

You can see it everyday, but cannot touch it at will. What is it?

@~IllusionQueen~
You hear a hiss and look towards the giant webs that cover the cave from ceiling to floor. Threads cross over themselves and barely shift as the Spider Silk that designed them comes into view. You hold your breath. It comes close, circling around you as it examines you. At last, it returns to the highest threads of its web, tail flicking. In its wake, an egg remains.

"You are judged kindly. Your ally will aid you in this game."

Proceeding, you feel the adult Spider Silk following along nearby. Together, you travel through the cave and its tunnels for some time. Light has faded and you can barely see before you. Abruptly, you trigger a spell circle and its light illuminates the space you're in.

"Luck has befallen you. Congratulations. You have found a handsome treat. Now, you may choose to continue and test that luck further, or leave and enjoy your bounty."

*Note:* I am acknowledging your Nat 20 roll :) I will, though, take into consideration your suggestion that I control the dice rolls/coin flips from now on.

@Ziranos
You stand your ground as the Lich Warder stares you down. It rises to its full height, extending its wings for both balance and display. It growls at you for only a moment, a huff of air exhaling its nostrils in the next. Folding its wings and lowering its body, it creeps towards you. The Warder gives a quick toss of its head before taking a step to the side, revealing its egg to you.

"Proud creature. It will guide you. Be ever deserving of its graces."

The Lich Warder leads you further into the cave, scenting the air and listening. It warns you of something close before, together, you activate a spell circle. Light ensnares you.

"You have discovered your first riddle. Prepare. You will have three attempts."

You squint your eyes and begin to see words:

A very pretty thing am I, fluttering in the pale-blue sky. Delicate, fragile on the wing, indeed I am a pretty thing. What am I?
Please call me Val.
(10-26-2019, 02:07 PM)JinxVIII Wrote: @dustpuppy
Within your first few steps, the sticky webs of a Spider Silk coat your clothes. At first, you thrash against the supposed trap. But when the creature itself appears, you grow still. It stares at you, assessing. You wait for it its judgment until it draws nearer, one wing lifting to reveal the egg it carries.

"It seems you have found your ally. Take care of them and they will take care of you."

The adult Spider Silk rearranges its web, rising back to the top of the cave but remains within sight. It moves as you move and hisses out warnings to you. It isn't long before you come stumble into a spell circle. Light traps you and your ally within.

"You have found the first riddle. I hope you are ready to answer it. You will have three attempts."

From the light, words begin to form:

You can see it everyday, but cannot touch it at will. What is it?

Carefully tucking the egg under my jacket for safety and warmth, I take some time to think. Something that is always there, but can't be touched, because it's... not an object? Or too far away? Could it be the sun, or clouds? But not every day is sunny or cloudy. After careful consideration, I venture my guess:

"The sky".

[Image: l1fDaPq.png]
[Image: Birb_Division.png]
[Image: Akozt2S.png] ~ Microraptor Fan Club ~ Ailura Fan Club ~ Celadon Fan Club ~ [Image: Akozt2S.png]
 ~ My Lair ~ My DC scroll ~ My Flowergame Garden ~

(10-26-2019, 02:07 PM)JinxVIII Wrote: You stand your ground as the Lich Warder stares you down. It rises to its full height, extending its wings for both balance and display. It growls at you for only a moment, a huff of air exhaling its nostrils in the next. Folding its wings and lowering its body, it creeps towards you. The Warder gives a quick toss of its head before taking a step to the side, revealing its egg to you.

"Proud creature. It will guide you. Be ever deserving of its graces."

The Lich Warder leads you further into the cave, scenting the air and listening. It warns you of something close before, together, you activate a spell circle. Light ensnares you.

"You have discovered your first riddle. Prepare. You will have three attempts."

You squint your eyes and begin to see words:

A very pretty thing am I, fluttering in the pale-blue sky. Delicate, fragile on the wing, indeed I am a pretty thing. What am I?

I can't help but to flinch at the Warder's display of power and form, followed by a flood of gratitude at its offer of alliance. Empowered with the companionship of the Lich Warder and its egg, I prepare for whatever might meet us further into the cave.

A pretty thing, fluttering in the sky... fluttering like my heart in my chest, the beating of soft wings. Delicate and fragile... like a butterfly? Soft, fragile wings, but beautiful and always around in the blue sky. 

"A butterfly," I say and nod to myself.
After venturing this far into a dark and spooky cave, a talking dragon was the last thing I'd expected to see, and one with games no less! What a lucky day! I love this season!

"I'd love to befriend and Undaquas, they're so misunderstood.." I say, bouncing lightly, impatient to get to the convivial contests!

(EDIT: Right, dice rolling, wups!)

I cast a die, but in my enthusiasm use a bit too much strength... we'll pretend it bounced weird off a rock.. It hurtles into the abyss of the dark cave, impenetrable by the torch, towards the dragon.

"Um, ma'am? Could I ask you to read my roll, please?"
She smiles and carefully puts her treat in her basket before continuing onwards with her new ally. She tosses the dice a bit far away. She hurries after it, listening as it clacks against the ground.

(Thank you so much for the trade, and thank you for taking over the rolls and flips from now on. That makes me feel more at ease ^^ )
[Image: ddc87s1-6f2be91b-9dc5-4358-80e2-e86c51ef...i9PfFyvqCM]
"The best place to cry is in the rain, where no one will know."
[Image: ddhyp0y-628c7dfc-31ef-4af8-825d-73c3b4a0...41rPa5cBP0]
Allow me to mourn and yearn for you for the remaining years of my life, my lovely little Rosie girl……
@dustpuppy
[Correct Answer]
The light of the spell circle intensifies upon receiving your answer. After a heartbeat, it dims again. "Well done." The circle fades into the darkness of the cave again and the unoiled creak of an opening chest echos through the air. "You are rewarded with a sum of silver--a fair treat for the start of this game. You may continue to test your wit or leave to enjoy your spoils."

@Ziranos
[Correct Answer]
The spell circle grows brighter, the words of the riddle blurring into the lines before the magic releases you. "A good answer. For it, you receive a small treat of silver. Now, you get to decide if you shall press on or take your leave."

@SojournerWrath
[16 -> Heads]
Taking additional steps into the cave, you stop at the edge of a pond. The water ripples, fins breaking the surface before a set of eyes stare at you. The Undaqua rises further out of the water. Gradually, its siren call began to fill the cave and a tentacle lifted above the water. Clutched within it is an egg, set carefully upon the stony ground.

"It has accepted you, placing a heavy trust within your hands. Do not betray it."

As the grown Undaqua disappears back into the water, you move forward. Not long, you set off a spell circle that flashes once. At your feet, a coin purse appears. "Fortunate. You have discovered a treat. Silver is your bounty, no strings attached."

@~IllusionQueen~
[2 -> Tails]
You walk quickly, your Spider Silk crawling across the cave walls. It hisses at you, a warning, but you set off another spell circle. Light blinds you and vines materialize, wrapping around your legs, waist, and one arm. "How unfortunate. It seems a trick, a trap, has been released." Your ally climbs down, teeth and claws breaking through the vines to set you free.
Please call me Val.